Saturday, September 21, 2013

Pittsburg Landing, May 7 [1862].

MR. E. RUSSELL, Cor. Secretary Scott Co. Relief Association –

ESTEEMED SIR:  I have arrived from Hamburg general hospital.  I consented to be assigned, for the present, to the 8th ward of that institution, after having assisted Dr. Varian, post surgeon, to establish it.  I have 160 of the sick of the 2d cavalry, 5th, 10th, 3d and 17th infantry of Iowa volunteers under my care.  They are doing quite as well as we could hope for under the circumstances – have lost none, have nurses plenty, but need good cooks.  This is the mistake.  Good cooks are what is most needed in our hospitals.  Fruits, potatoes, onions, barley, whisky and lots of peppers are needed too.  Mrs. Harlan and Mrs. Burnell are here somewhere.  I believe Dr. G. is still in the 3d Iowa.  The army is advancing to-day three miles – they must fight or run, I think, this week; are skirmishing now.  The cannon are booming – it’s exciting music, but brings no terror.  The army is in excellent spirits, although much sickness is in it.  See that the good people of Davenport do not turn out promiscuously as a crowd to help here in case of a battle, but send a few working men.  I shall do all I can to keep posted as to the wants of our troops, and relieve them as far as that can be done with my means.

Yours,
A. S. MAXWELL.

– Published in The Davenport Daily Gazette, Davenport, Iowa, Wednesday Morning, May 14, 1862, p. 1

No comments: